Your nameFriend's name
Your emailFriend's email

Adhesive arachnoiditis following inadvertent epidural injection of 2% chlorhexidine in 70% alcohol—partial recovery over the ensuing eight years

Department of Anaesthesia, St George Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales

Summary

We report a case of serious neurologic injury due to inadvertent epidural injection of 8 ml of the antiseptic 2% chlorhexidine in 70% alcohol during a procedure aimed to relieve the pain of labour. This resulted in immediate severe back pain, progressive tetraparesis and sphincter dysfunction caused by damage to the spinal cord and nerve roots. Subacute hydrocephalus necessitated drainage, but cranial nerve and cognitive function were spared. Magnetic resonance imaging documented marked abnormality of the spinal cord and surrounding leptomeninges. In the ensuing eight years, there has been clinical and electrophysiological evidence of partial recovery, but neurologic deficit remains severe.

ASA member / Anaesthesia and Intensive Care subscriber

If you are a member of the ASA or subscribe to the Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Journal please login to view entire article.

Purchase 24-hour access

If you are not a member, you may purchase 24-hour access to the entire article by simply selecting your country and clicking the 'Purchase' button below.

Select your country:

Purchase a subscription

For unlimited access to all articles, you can subscribe to the Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Journal.